Sunday, August 3, 2014

An old friend.


Today was a big day for me. We not only went out for a family run, but I also did something I hadn't done in almost two years: I rode my bike. 

{July 2012}

I couldn't believe that it had been almost two years. When I said it out loud it sounded so strange to me. How had that much time passed? My bike, for the longest time, was my primary mode of transportation, aside from walking, and it made so many things possible. I rode almost daily the 11 mile round trip to CERN (before hopping on the tram) for yoga in Geneva. I often used it to speed up the food shopping trek (between 2 and almost 4 miles, depending on where I went). I brought plants, terra cotta pots, bags of soil, and the occasional large fig tree home from the garden center (10 miles round trip).


How had it been two years?

Wasn't I only pregnant for 9 months?

So, when Dan and Oswin and I got back from our run, and I felt the gravity of this realization, I took out my bike. Just a short ride mind you, but I rode it. I rode it up the mountain a bit, to see the chickens on the road up to Feigeres, through St. Jean de Gonville, and back home again. It was just for about 10 or 15 minutes, just a few miles, but it. felt. so. GOOD. 


Oh how I missed my sweet bike. My basket. The shark head bell. All the gears that I'm never quite sure if I'm in the right one. I'm hoping to start getting up early and trying to ride to and from CERN once a week or so, because I miss the bike path so much. I'd also like to start riding in with Oswin to have lunch with Dan once or twice a week at CERN, once I get comfortable with the ride again. I'm so happy to be finally getting back to the activity level I was once at pre-baby, slowly but surely. I can't wait to show Oswin the bike path and see her face on our first ride. I bet she'll love it. 

So friends, with that in mind, when did you get your little ones in a bike seat? Oswin will be 10 months old very shortly, and I'm hoping we're about at the right age for it. Any suggestions on bike seats that you loved?

A la prochaine friends...

Honey 

1 comment:

  1. I have no bike seat advice, but this post reminds me that it has been a long time since I've been on my own bike. I went to a yoga class a couple weeks ago for the first time since having my baby in January, and it felt incredible.

    ReplyDelete