Friday, December 6, 2013

Happy Hanukkah to me (and Future Oswin).

 

If buying yourself a little Hanukkah present is wrong, I don't wanna be right. 


The other day, on a trip into Geneva, we made a stop into one of my favorite stationary shops: Ordning & Reda. 


I've been wanting what I've been calling "the Tardis blue journal" (I know it's not actually the real Tardis blue color, the BBC-approved Tardis blue is Pantone 2955C) for some time. I haven't filled up my last journal yet, so I really couldn't justify purchasing another one at this juncture...
 
 
...that is, until I figured out the perfect use for it.

 
I thought to myself, how cool would it be to write a book to Oswin, as she's growing up, about her, about her mama and her papa, and giving it to her when she goes off to college?

 
Truth is, you can talk and talk all you want to a newborn, but they're obviously not going to remember it. It helps them to develop their language skills, but as far as the stories and memories, pretty much in one ear and out the other, right? Well, I decided, this journal is how I can still tell her the things I want her to know, about her papa and I, about her birth, about her life in SwitzerFrance (because we won't be living here forever), about the ups and downs of motherhood...everything and anything. This way, I can continue to tell her stories, tell her things about the people that love her and the silly things she does (like trying to sleep upside down), but I can also write them down so that one day, as an adult, she'll know about the early times in her life. Because let's face it, if I don't take a picture of it or write about it, I forget it, plain and simple. I feel a little sci-fi-ish excitement with this project, because it's Past Mama talking to Future Oswin.  
 
I hope Future Oswin loves this idea as much as I do.
 
Do you have any special ways to catalog your memories and thoughts? Are you a journal writer? An object collector? Scrapbooking videographing blogging storyteller?
 
A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey 

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful and loving idea, I'm sure Oswin and her future children will love and treasure it :)

    ReplyDelete