Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Sparrow Incident.

 
Yesterday, shortly after posting to the blog, but sometime after Doc had gotten home from work, we were sitting on the bed enjoying a little tomato bread with brie, (because that's where we eat all of our meals nowadays), when Doc decided to shut the terrace door that had been open all day. The sun was starting to go down, and it's either continue to have a nice little breeze or let the flies and mosquitoes in. Not 20 seconds later a little sparrow flew full force directly into our glass terrace doors, hit it head first, bounced off, and flew off on its confused merry way. As a few feathers floated to the ground, Doc and I just sat and stared at each other as what had just happened sunk in.  
 
Did we just metaphorically close the door on the stork?
 
I made a comment to a fellow expat friend about what had just happened, and without me disclosing the previously thought stork metaphor, she said that the day before her first child was born, 2 sparrows flew into her and her husband's apartment, and to beware of what that might mean. Was this really an omen? Or again, did we save ourselves an early birth by closing the door shortly before the sparrow flew into it?
 
Either way, it scared the superstitious beejeezus out of me.
 
So what do you think was the first thing I did this morning? Showered and washed my hair. The second? Finished packing my hospital bag. And third, painted my nails. So, if today really is the day, I think I've got all the really important aspects covered.
 
Do I think I'm going into labor today? No. I'm still 2 days away from full term, and we haven't even had our first prenatal class, which obviously Homekid is going to realize. But did I get freaked out enough to take seriously the fact that I technically could? Hell yeah. At least I can rest easy knowing that my bag is packed.
 
Speaking of, check back tomorrow for a rundown of what I've packed in my hospital bag!
 
A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey

1 comment: