Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Test kitchen.

 
Pregnancy has made me an early riser. I haven't missed a sunrise in weeks, and lately I've considered waking up at 8 am as me "sleeping in." (Past Honey just gasped.)
 
Not only have I been rising earlier and earlier, but I've been actually motivated (gasps by Present Honey) to do things at this early hour.
 
Today I woke up with a ridiculous overwhelming urge to bake. ALL THE THINGS.
 
So, once Doc left for work, I started off making a double batch of Pumpkin Honey Cornbread, and in case you were wondering from my last post about this cornbread, a double batch does fits perfectly in a 12 inch tart pan. Also, in case you ever wondered if whisking with a whisk and whisking with a fork are different, I can assure you from some of the very salty bites of this mornings cornbread that they indeed are. Lesson learned. 
 
 
But it didn't stop there. I then took to my pinterest fall recipes board and poured over every image. The requirements? The recipe I chose had to be something with pumpkin in it. (You're surprised, right?)
 
Being that I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant, I didn't want to take on too big of an undertaking as I've lately had the habit of biting off more than I can chew when it comes to everyday tasks, so I decided that today would be the day that I would perfect the ultimate Pumpkin Spice Latte at home.
 
 
Present Honey would like to inform Past Honey that did not actually happen.
Le sigh.
 
 
None of the recipes I tried yielded what to me would be the perfect fix for a pumpkin spice latte craving. Maybe for others they would be, but none were right for me. I'm not giving up on this endeavor, but I am annoyed that the first one I tried didn't sprout little rainbows of fall happiness in my tummy. It wasn't bad, but there were no rainbows.  
 
 
And want to know something else? [Cue rant.] I get annoyed when a recipe calls for pumpkin pie spice. It's not that people use it that annoys me, it's the mere existence of it as a single spice. Is that silly? Are my pregnancy hormones going off in a pumpkin filled rage? I think that the cinnamon and other spices involved should be given the respect of having their quantities listed separately. I guess I'm just a purist at heart. Since I haven't seen pumpkin pie spice here in France I now need to make our own pumpkin pie spice mixture, and then figure out the right proportions for my dreamboat pumpkin spice latte. Nothing that a Google search won't solve, but annoying nonetheless. And don't worry, when I do I'll be sure to share it with you. Maybe you'll even get some rainbows. Fingers crossed. [End rant.]   
 
Any of you out in the blogosphere have a killer pumpkin spice latte recipe that you'd be willing to share? Any one else against the societal attachment to pumpkin pie spice as a single spice entity?
 
Ok maybe I had too much coffee today.
 
A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey 

1 comment:

  1. yumyum yum. fall amazingness.
    i agree about the 'pumpkin spice' debacle. pumpkin pie spice isn't a real spice!! give nutmeg and cinnamon the spotlight they deserve! :) it's probably a lot easier to find if you're going grocery shopping too, that way.

    ReplyDelete