Thursday, September 26, 2013

DIY: Propagating Rosemary

{Never mind the dust bunnies. Whoops.}
 
I'm excited to share another propagation DIY with you all today, especially since I was pretty sure this one didn't work. That is, until about 2 days ago.
 
At the end of June I decided that we needed more rosemary. But I didn't want to buy it, and wasn't feeling much like planting seeds. So I decided to try to propagate my own with a branch from our current rosemary plant. Low and behold, with a little patience, it worked! It was really easy too, the hardest part was the waiting for something, anything to happen.
 
Want to propagate your own rosemary? Here's how!
 
Propagating Rosemary DIY:
 
1. Find a rosemary plant. Cut off a sprig (mine was about 6 inches long).
 
2. Remove leaves from bottom 1/3 - 1/2 of sprig. Make sure enough leaves are removed so that there will be no leaves under the water line.
 
3. Put in a small jar on a sunny windowsill. (I used a glass yogurt jar.) Fill with water to just below the bottom most leaf. Refill water as necessary.
 
4. Wait and wait and wait. Curse at it a bit. Forget about it for awhile. Remember it exists on the windowsill and curse at it again to do SOMETHING. Eventually, after roots begin to form (for me that was about 3 months) pot in soil.
 
 
This little guy is getting potted this weekend, and I can't wait. I've been in serious fresh rosemary withdrawal as of late.
 
A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey


No comments:

Post a Comment