Friday, August 30, 2013

28th Annual Salon des Vins

 
{It's the mosssst wonderful timmmmme of the yearrrrr....}
 
Ah yes, the most wonderful time of the year - Thoiry's annual Salon des vins. The official signaling of the start of fall (pour moi). The time to restock your cave. The time to walk home with 18 bottles of wine just because you can. A free wine festival that lasts for three days, with endless amounts of vendors. Vendors as far as the eye can see! It's a beautiful thing.
 
Granted, this year will be different, for obvious reasons. But as I'll be the sober friend at this year's Salon des vins, I've got a very important job: to force Doc and my friends to drink lots of wine and tell me the ones I'll like. Maybe as supervisor I'll have to do a lot of standing around and taking notes, but once this winter rolls around and I can walk into our cave and pick out a nice Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Jura Yellow wine, or Jura white, it'll make it all worth it.
 
I'm also curious to see how many vendors try to serve me up a glass of wine. A few years back we were there with a very obviously pregnant friend, and every vendor said "it's good for the baby..." Le sigh. I'll pass, merci.
 
What's also funny about being pregnant right now? This is the first time we're going into a Salon des Vins with wines actually in our cave. I feel like we've got a bit of a collection right now, which is nice. We pulled all the bottles out the other day to take an inventory (something I've always wanted to be able to do but never thought we'd have enough wine in the cave to do so), and made a list of what we're hoping to pick up this time. Some of the highlights on this list include a case of Cerdon, a Jura Yellow wine (very rare, only made in our region, and under very particular stipulations to be able to make the claim that they are a yellow wine), a few bottles of a Jura white, a case of my favorite Beaujolais, some Alsatian wine, an Eau de vie (or three), some Lac Leman biere, and 2 bottles of Châteauneuf-du-Pape (one to celebrate with after Homekid gets here, and a young bottle to put away for about 15 years from now). Granted, this is a wish list, but it's important to have dreams, right?   
 
Also, since I won't be drinking, I'll be embarrassing Doc and our friends by taking a merde-ton of pictures, so I can't wait to share this year's festivities with all of you.
 
How about you guys? Any fun plans this weekend?
 
A la prochaine friends...
 
Honey


3 comments:

  1. sounds like a pretty fun fest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attending a wine festival and not being able to drink is sheer torture. You are a stronger woman than I :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tough. Very tough. Smelling the wines isn't the same as sipping them. I resisted despite the peer pressure I received at the Cerdon booth from the two vendors...

      Delete